Prof Paul Ruff appointed as Chair of ASCO’s Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Council
CANSA congratulates CANSA Research Committee (RESCOM) member Prof Paul Ruff for being appointed as Chair of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Council. Prof Ruff is an Emeritus Professor of Medical Oncology at the School of Clinical Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand.
The Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Council has 12 members who are leading oncologists from Sub-Saharan Africa: three from southern Africa, three from eastern Africa, and six from western Africa, including three members from Anglophone and three from Francophone countries.
Aims of the ASCO Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Council:
- Access to cancer treatment especially cancer medicine in low-middle income countries including those in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Early diagnosis and detection of cancer in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Teaching and training opportunities available in Sub-Saharan African countries.
These are the 3 major thrusts of the Committee with access to care being done by the entire Committee while teaching and training and early detection being handled by 2 sub-committees each consisting of 6-8 members.
- The Ripple Effect: Working to Close the Care Gap for People Living With Cancer Around the World
- ASCO Launches Regional Council to Support Quality Cancer Care in Sub-Saharan Africa
- ASCO’s Regional Councils: Uniting Oncology Leaders to Make a Global Impact
Prof Ruff received the coveted A.G. Oettlé Memorial medal from CANSA in 2020 in recognition of his outstanding contributions to cancer research. Read more…