Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Tygerberg Care Home is a wonderful home-from-home to cancer patients receiving cancer treatment at Tygerberg Hospital, far away from their own homes. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible.
CANSA staff are available 24 / 7 and one staff member is on duty at night. Staff also work closely with hospital staff, informing them if a patient is ill.
The CANSA Tygerberg Care Home is situated in Parow, on the grounds of Tygerberg Hospital, in a secure environment, in Proteahof (next to nursing college). Patients can visit the local hospital cafeteria from Monday to Friday, and there is a tuck shop in the Oncology Treatment Centre (X-Block).
Bookings need to be made through Tygerberg Hospital’s Oncology Department. General queries may be directed to staff at the Tygerberg Care Home on 021-931-0990 or 083 465 1944 | 0800 22 66 22 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1st Floor, 3rd Tower, Protea Hof (next to nursing college),
Tygerberg Hospital, Fransie van Zyl Avenue, Tygerberg, Parow, 7505
P.O. Box 186, Rondebosch, 7701
Patients should bring their own toiletries and towels, and are welcome to make a donation. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Breakfast and supper are provided at the Care Home, and Tygerberg Hospital provides lunch. Meals are adapted to the medical needs of the patient, and are eaten in patients’ bedrooms
- Capacity: 20 patients may be accommodated in x 6 twin-bed rooms and x 8 single-bed rooms
- Rooms: A combined lounge / TV room where patients can relax or watch TV
- Outside: None
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids through local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products through local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required) / nutritional supplements may be obtained through the hospital (free of charge)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information patients’ illness
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Once per month volunteers run arts & crafts activities (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Three interdenominational groups are held per week (free of charge)
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
The CANSA Tygerberg Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Tygerberg Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 100 751 1287
Reference: Tygerberg CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
Find additional online resources for cancer Survivors (anyone who has heard the words ‘you have cancer’) or loved ones, and about coping with cancer.
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via email@example.com – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.
2022 – Donations Required:
- maintenance to facilities (painting / repairs / plumbing)
- sponsored pest control services
- food / toiletry parcels for patients
Gavin Kester – firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 553 9676