Mandela Day Requests
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Mielie Meal
- Mielie Rice
- Peanut butter
- Cheese spread
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Long life milk
- Tomato Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sugar and salt
- Coffee and tea
- Beef and chicken stock
- Spaghetti and Macaroni
- Meat and Fish
- Car wash vouchers
- 2x stove
- Replacing some fans
- Patients activities
- Craft supplies
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Face cloths
- Aqueous Cream
- Kettles and irons
- Toilet paper
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Tipuana Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks. Patients go home on weekends and may book in again on Sunday afternoons between 16:00 and 17:00.
Patients may bring a caregiver along to assist them, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Pretoria Care Centre. During the day patients can ask staff at the Care Centre for assistance and a member of staff is on call at night.
The CANSA Tipuana Care Home is situated in Rietfontein, Pretoria, next to the CANSA Pretoria Care Centre in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Steve Biko Academic Hospital, Little Company of Mary Hospital, Life Eugene Marais Hospital, Life Wilgers Hostpital, Netcare Unitas Hospital, Meulmed Mediclinic and Midstream Oncology Centre. There is a curio shop on the premises of the Care Home and Care Centre. Patients are dropped at the Jacaranda Shopping Centre, Queens Shopping Centre or local shops and pharmacy when they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually en route to or from treatment).
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Tipuana Care Home on 012-329 3036
32 Lys Street, Rietfontein, 0084
P.O. Box 275, Pretoria, 0001
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay a fee of R200 per day and supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch – main meal, and supper – patients help themselves to sandwiches at night)
- Capacity: 29 patients may be accommodated
- Rooms: Communal lounge and dining area; kitchen; bathrooms
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Pretoria Care Centre)
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids (on request) from CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments from CANSA Care Centre and stoma products from the Stoma Clinic
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available and a support group is held once per month (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Browsing in the curio shop; library (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational ministers render spiritual support every Thursday (free of charge)
The CANSA Tipuana Care Home was the first of its kind in South Africa, and was established in 1970, the first patient taking up residence in August that year.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Elize Buckle: “Hannes, my wederhelfte, was vir bestraling by Wilgers en het vanaf 19 September 2016 tot 27 Oktober 2016 by Tipuana tuis gegaan. Baie dankie aan al die vriendelike en hulpvaardige personeel, skoon slaapplek en goeie kos wat jul voorsit. Ons is jul baie dankbaar.”
Marinda Smal: “Ons as gesin wil net vir al die personeel baie dankie sê vir al julle hulp en bystand met my broer, Kobie Smit gedurende sy bestraling by Muelmed. Julle lewer ‘n uitstekende diens en ons is julle innig dankbaar. Skoon en netjiese geriewe”.
The CANSA Tipuana Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Tipuana Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: Cancer Association of South Africa – Tipuana
Branch code: 632005
Account number: 906 361 9138
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via firstname.lastname@example.org – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.