COVID-19 Needs & Request for Donations:
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Strelitzia Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Our patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks (depending on treatment), and patients have the option of going home on weekends.
Patients may bring one caregiver, or loved one along to assist them, as the Care Home is a self-catering facility, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Port Elizabeth Care Centre and a nurse is available part time at the Care Centre during the day. Patients pop in to the Care Centre for advice or to attend counselling or support groups. A panic button has been installed in the event of a medical emergency.
The CANSA Strelitzia Care Home is situated in Glendinningvale, Port Elizabeth, in a secure environment, and is near the following treatment centres: PE Provincial Hospital, St Georges Hospital and the GVI Port Elizabeth Oncology Unit. Patients are dropped at the local shopping centre or SPAR when they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually en route to or from treatment).
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Strelitzia Care Home on 041 – 373 5157.
8 Eden Road, Glendinningvale, 6001
P.O. Box 7192, Newton Park, Port Elizabeth, 6055
Patients pay a fee of R150 per day and supply their own meals, toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Self catering – a fully equipped kitchen including a stove, fridge and microwave is available
- Capacity: Three rooms can accommodate 6 patients (2 patients per room)
- Rooms: A communal lounge with couches, TV; 2 bathrooms; 2 toilets
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Port Elizabeth Care Centre)
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids, etc (on request) from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, and breast prostheses are available at the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness is provided (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling and support groups are offered at the CANSA Care Centre (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Various ministers from different denominations are available to provide support (free of charge)
The CANSA Strelitzia Care Home was established in 1993.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with a place to stay near treatment centres and therefore peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Wilma Peters: “On behalf of my family, I just want to express my sincere gratitude to the CANSA staff. Thank you for always being available – for just for being there. It really meant so much to me. Thank you for helping me to maintain perspective, for being real and sensitive. May God bless and keep you.”
The CANSA Strelitzia Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Strelitzia Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch code: 632005
Account number: 115 714 0058
Reference: Strelitzia CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via firstname.lastname@example.org – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Breakfast cereals
- Non-perishable foods
- Cutlery and crockery
- Fire detector
- 3 Shower curtains
- Bedding – fitted sheets and night frills (for 12 beds)
- Blankets / duvets
- Continental pillowcases
- Bedside tablecloths (round)
- Bathroom mats
- Bedroom curtains
- Dining room curtains