COVID-19 Alert: Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible.
The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre. A CANSA staff member is available 24 / 7 should patients need support.
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home is situated in Brandwag, Bloemfontein, next to the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: National District Hospital Bloemfontein (state patients), Life Rosepark Hospital, Life Pasteur Hospital, Universitas Private Hospital, Pelonomi Private Hospital, and Bloemfontein Mediclinic. Patients are dropped at Mimosa Mall or Brandwacht Shopping Centre if they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually en route to or from treatment).
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Olea Care Home on 051 – 444 2580.
90 Melville Drive, Brandwag, Bloemfontein, 9301
Private Bag X02, Brandhof, 9324
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay a fee of R200 per day and supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and supper) – meals adapted to the medical needs of the patient
- Capacity: 24 patients may be accommodated (x 9 rooms: x 4 rooms with twin beds and en suite shower, toilet and basin; x 3 rooms with 4 beds per room; x 1 room with three beds and en suite shower and toilet; x 1 room with a single bed used by Stoma Clinic staff.
- Rooms: Communal lounge and dining area with TV; additional full bathroom and shower facilities
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre) lending itself to meditation and relaxation
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids, etc (on request) from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling provided by 4th year UNISA psychology students (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Light exercise groups (free of charge) and outings once or twice per month (patients contribute if necessary)
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational ministers visit during the week (free of charge)
The CANSA Olea Care Home was established in 1974 with the assistance of Rotarians.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Me. C Merais: “When I was first diagnosed with cancer I only wanted to be alone. When I got to Olea I was disappointed to see that I would need to share a room with other ladies. But now I am very happy. I have always said I would like to tour to Spain with a church group. I never knew how I would handle sharing with these people, and now Olea is my Spain. Sharing a room and knowing what other patients are going through has given me a reason for Hope. If I did not stay at Olea, I would never have realised my dream – I went to Spain!”
Mr. Sebudi: “To see people, who have the same disease as I do, helps me accept my cancer better. Olea has taught me, Hope, Respect, Culture!”
Zizi Rens: “Just want to say how much Olea and staff meant to me in my 6 weeks stay. It was a home away from home and all the patients and staff were so caring, kind and loving. I can not thank them enough. We had lovely rooms with brand new bedding. The food was delicious and it was so nice to have a safe drive in the transport every day. All I had to focus on was my treatment and rest. Thank you very, very much!”
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: CANSA Free State
Branch Code: 632005
Account number: 157 017 6656
Reference: Olea CH