COVID-19 Needs & Requests for Donations:
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible.
The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre. A CANSA staff member is available 24 / 7 should patients need support.
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home is situated in Brandwag, Bloemfontein, next to the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Bloemfontein Mediclinic, National District Hospital Bloemfontein (state patients), Universitas Private Hospital, Life Rosepark Hospital, Life Pasteur Hospital, and Pelonomi Private Hospital. Patients are dropped at Mimosa Mall or Brandwag Shopping Centre if they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually on route to or from treatment centres). While we are under the threat of the Covid- 19 virus, we do shopping on behalf of patients.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Olea Care Home on 051 – 444 2580 or 083 350 4659.
90 Melville Drive, Brandwag, Bloemfontein, 9301
Private Bag X02, Brandhof, 9324
Patients pay a once off admission fee of R60.00 on admission Fees per day are determined on the basis of a patient’s income status and medical aid benefits. Their own supply will only be toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and supper)
- Capacity: 50 patients can be accommodated, but due to COVID-19 provision is currently only being made for 30 patients
- Rooms: Communal lounge and dining area with TV; additional full bathroom and shower facilities
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre) lending itself to meditation and relaxation
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids, etc (on request) from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products from the CANSA Care Centre (a donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling provided by 4th year UNISA psychology students (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Light exercise groups (free of charge) and outings once or twice per month (patients contribute if necessary)
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational ministers visit during the week (free of charge)
The CANSA Olea Care Home was established in 1974 with the assistance of Rotarians.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Me. C Merais: “When I was first diagnosed with cancer I only wanted to be alone. When I got to Olea I was disappointed to see that I would need to share a room with other ladies. But now I am very happy. I have always said I would like to tour to Spain with a church group. I never knew how I would handle sharing with these people, and now Olea is my Spain. Sharing a room and knowing what other patients are going through has given me a reason for Hope. If I did not stay at Olea, I would never have realised my dream – I went to Spain!”
Mr. Sebudi: “To see people, who have the same disease as I do, helps me accept my cancer better. Olea has taught me, Hope, Respect, Culture!”
Zizi Rens: “Just want to say how much Olea and staff meant to me in my 6 weeks stay. It was a home away from home and all the patients and staff were so caring, kind and loving. I can not thank them enough. We had lovely rooms with brand new bedding. The food was delicious and it was so nice to have a safe drive in the transport every day. All I had to focus on was my treatment and rest. Thank you very, very much!”
The CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Olea Katleho Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: CANSA Free State
Branch Code: 334 334
Account number: 157 017 6656
Reference: Olea/Kat CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via firstname.lastname@example.org – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Breakfast cereals
- Non-perishable foods
- Flooring – Tiles / vinyl / carpet
- Cleaning materials
- Bedside mats
- Craft supplies