Mandela Day Requests
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Breakfast cereals
- Any non-perishable foods
- Fuel (vouchers)
- Wheel alignment services
- Car service (due in November)
- Car wash vouchers
- Sandwich toaster
- Cleaning materials
- Craft supplies
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Irma Bruschi Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks. Patients go home on weekends.
The Care Home is on the same premises as the CANSA George Care Centre and staff are available during the day. A staff member is there at night. If a patient requires assistance a caregiver may accompany them, however, this depends on whether a bed is available as preference is given to patients. Patients staying at the Care Home come from the Klein Karoo and Southern Cape regions.
The CANSA Irma Bruschi Care Home is situated in George, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: George Hospital and CancerCare Private Oncology. When driving en route to or from treatment, patients may be dropped at the shops or pharmacy should they need anything.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Irma Bruschi Care Home on 044 – 874 4824.
103 Merriman Road, George, 6529
P.O. Box 1428, George, 6530
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients who can afford to do so pay R150 per day, otherwise a donation is given. Patients supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Three meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) are provided daily and meals are adapted to the medical needs of the patient
- Capacity: 12 patients may be accommodated in 4 bedrooms (two rooms have four beds and two rooms have two beds)
- Rooms: Communal lounge and dining area, a sun room, kitchen, and two bathrooms
- Outside: Secure garden area shared with CANSA George Care Centre
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids from CANSA George Care Centre (free of charge)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products from CANSA George Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is provided by the CANSA George Care Centre social worker (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Volunteers come in to do arts & crafts sessions
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational group x 1 per week
The CANSA Irma Bruschi Care Home was established in 2010. Mrs Bruschi donated money to CANSA in honour of her late husband Dr Bruschi, after he received lymphoedema treatment and support from CANSA, which enabled the purchase of the home.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
The CANSA Irma Bruschi Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Irma Brushci Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: CANSA Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 906 241 6313
Reference: Irma Bruschi CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via firstname.lastname@example.org – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.