Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Eikehof Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible.
CANSA staff are on duty at the Care Home 24 / 7, although no nursing facilities are available. If a patient requires assistance a caregiver may accompany them, however, this depends on whether a bed is available as preference is given to patients. Patients making use of the Care Home come from the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Cape, as well as the Klein Karoo region.
The CANSA Eikehof Care Home is situated in a quiet cul-de-sac in Athlone, Cape Town in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Grootte Schuur, N1 City Hospital, Panorama Mediclinic, Vincent Pallotti Hospital, Rondebosch Mediclinic, Cape Gate Mediclinic, UCT Private Academic Hospital and Solway Oncology Centre. Patients have access to a SPAR, Shoprite and Woolworths Food Store within walking distance of the Care Home.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Eikehof Care Home on 021-689 5347 or 084 701 4822 | 0800 22 66 22 or firstname.lastname@example.org
7 Dunbar Avenue, Athlone, 7764
P.O. Box 186, Rondebosch, 7701
Patients need to provide their own toiletries and towels and are able to do their own laundry by hand. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. State patients pay between R20 to R100 per day, depending on what they are able to afford.
- Meals: Three meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) are provided – meals are adapted to the medical needs of the patient and all food is Halaal friendly
- Capacity: 23 patients may be accommodated. There are 8 bedrooms (mostly with 2 to 3 beds per room with a wardrobe, bedside table / the largest room has 6 beds) / 2 private rooms are available to medical aid patients (one of these rooms has its own microwave, toaster, and kettle)
- Rooms: One communal main lounge and 2 smaller lounges; an upstairs TV room – there are 2 TV’s, a DVD machine and a radio ; a large communal dining area; and kitchen. Patients need to bring their own chargers and 2-prong plugs
- Outside: Secure garden area with pergola, and garden furniture
- Parking: Safe, gated parking available
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids through local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products through local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required) / nutritional supplements may be obtained through the state hospital
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Art or craft sessions (Tuesday Knitting Club) (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational church group visits. Three during the week and three over the weekend (free of charge)
The CANSA Eikehof Care Home was established in 1975.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Adele Mouton: “I stayed in Eikenhof from October 2016 to December 2016. What a wonderful place to be! The staff are super and nothing is to big or small for them. I came as a patient and left as a sister. Thank you to each and every staff member you are awesome and I will miss every single one of you.”
Chris Hougaard: “My home away from home during my radiation therapy. Eikehof is my second family. I love them as much as I love my own family. I went to Grootte Schuur Hospital for frequent follow up visits. During all these visits I also stayed at CANSA Eikehof. I can never thank the staff enough for the caring way they treated me and the other patients who stayed there.”
The CANSA Eikehof Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Eikehof Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 100 751 1287
Reference: Eikehof CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via email@example.com – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.
2022 – Donations Required
- We’d love for our patients to have a comfy spot to relax. Please consider donating a few couches.
- Donations towards food parcels for patients are also welcome.
- We also need assistance with dry wall partitioning and installation, as well as help with regards to various building maintenance projects / sponsored pest control services.
- We transport patients to treatment sessions, so donations with regards to vehicle maintenance / fuel vouchers would be most welcome.
Gavin Kester firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 553 9676