Mandela Day Requests
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Cereal (Weetbix, Cornflakes, Jungle Oats)
- Peanut butter
- Tinned fish
- Baked beans
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Tinned tomatoes
- Mielie Meal
- Tea and Coffee
- Meat and fish
- New vehicle
- Fixing of clinic area toilet
- New door for reception area entrance
- New couches for counselling area
- Bedding (sheets, inners, pillows) etc
- New kitchen curtains
- Hand wash
- Hand lotion
- Washing powder
- Dish washing liquid
- Cutlery and crockery
- Toilet paper
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Richards Bay Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible.
Patients may bring one caregiver, or loved one along to assist them, as the home is a self-catering facility, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Richards Bay Care Centre and a full time social worker is available at the Care Centre on week days. Over the weekends a staff member stays on the premises. Patients pop in to the Care Centre for advice or to attend counselling or support groups. A panic button has been installed in the event of a medical emergency.
The CANSA Richards Bay Care Home is situated in Arboretum, Richards Bay in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Richards Bay Medical Institute, Queen Nandi Hospital, and Ngwelezane Hospital. Patients are dropped at the local shopping centre, Boardwalk Mall, if they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually en route to or from treatment).
For information and bookings contact 062 066 3804
27 Bauhinia Bend, Richards Bay, 3900
Postal address as above
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. The cost per day is R120. Patients supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Self catering – a fully equipped kitchen including a stove, fridge, microwave, kettle and blender. Laundry facilities available
- Capacity: 7 patients may be accommodated (three rooms: x 2 with twin beds and x 1 with 3 beds)
- Rooms: Communal lounge with TV and dining area; three bathrooms
- Outside: A secure garden area with verandah and pool (shared with the CANSA Richards Bay Care Centre)
Care & Support:
- Transport: Richards Bay Medical Institute helps provide transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids – Richards Bay Medical Institute assists (free of charge)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products are available at the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling by social worker and support groups at CANSA Care Centre (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Arts & Crafts activities
- Spiritual Support: As required
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
The CANSA Richards Bay Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Richards Bay Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 406 984 0578
Reference: Richards Bay CH
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via email@example.com – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.