COVID-19 Alert: Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Limpopo Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients go home on weekends.
Patients may bring a caregiver along to assist them, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Polokwane (Pietersburg) Care Centre. An enrolled nurse provides general support to patients in the day and at night a staff member is available.
The CANSA Limpopo Care Home is situated in Hospital Park, Polokwane next to the CANSA Polokwane (Pietersburg) Care Centre, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Marula Oncology, Dr Zirk Jansen Oncology, Limpopo Oncology Clinic and Pietersburg Provincial Hospital. There is a Spar nearby and patients may be dropped off en route to or from treatment to purchase necessary items.
For booking and information contact the CANSA Limpopo Care Home on 015-297 1268.
Cnr College & Dorp Streets, Polokwane, 0699
P.O. Box 1774, Polokwane, 0700
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay a fee of R300 per day and supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
Fathers of children being treated at the Pietersburg Provincial Hospital in the CANSA TLC Ward, stay free of charge.
- Meals: Three meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) provided daily – meals are adapted to the medical needs of the patient and meals are taken in patients’ rooms
- Capacity: 7 patients may be accommodated (x 3 twin bed rooms and x 1 single bed room – all rooms have en suite toilet & wash basin)
- Rooms: Communal lounge with TV, kitchen, bathrooms
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Polokwane Care Centre)
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids (on request) from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products are available at the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available and support groups at CANSA Care Centre (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Light exercise sessions (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Interdenominational ministers visit the Care Home (free of charge)
The CANSA Limpopo Care Home was established in 1991.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
The CANSA Limpopo Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Limpopo Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 010 200 40901
Reference: Limpopo CH