Mandela Day Requests
Please assist us with the following donations:
- Mielie Rice
- Peanut butter
- Cheese spread
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Long life milk
- Tomato Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sugar and salt
- Coffee and tea
- Beef and chicken stock
- Spaghetti and Macaroni
- Car Wash vouchers
- Replacing some fans
- Fixing roof
- Fixing verandah
- Craft supplies
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Face cloths
- Aqueous Cream
- Kettles and irons
- Toilet paper
Please see list of donations required at the bottom of the post
The CANSA Keurboom Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks, and patients go home on weekends.
Patients may bring a caregiver to assist them, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. Parking space is available to patients with their own transport. Two social workers and a night carer ensure that patients are supported 24 / 7.
The CANSA Keurboom Care Home is situated in Belgravia, Johannesburg, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Johannesburg General Hospital, Helen Joseph Hospital, Donald Gordon Hospital, Baragwanath Hospital and Rand Clinic. The Care Home is close to Eastgate Shopping Centre and patients are dropped there when they need to purchase groceries or personal items (usually en route to or from treatment).
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Keurboom Care Home on 087 405 3226.
473 Main Street, Cnr Princess & Main Rds, Belgravia, Johannesburg
Postal Address as above
Google Maps to follow
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay a fee of R200 per day and supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, supper) are provided – meals are adapted to the medical needs of the patient
- Capacity: 30 patients may be accommodated (x 2 beds per room – all rooms have a bedside table fans and heaters) – ladies’ rooms are on the ground level and gents’ rooms are upstairs
- Rooms: Communal lounge with TV and dining area; bathrooms; toilets; 5 bathrooms
- Outside: Secure garden area
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: wheelchairs, walking aids (on request) from local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products from local CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit & information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available and a weekly support group is held (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Library (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Is offered through the weekly support group (free of charge)
The CANSA Keurboom Care Home premises was donated to CANSA by the Johannesburg East Rotary Club in 1976. The beautiful Victorian home was built in 1890 and occupied during the early 1900’s by the Netherlands Consul. A new wing was added to the house to accommodate more cancer patients, with the assistance of the Rotary Club and furnishing provided. The house was named Keurboom House and during its refurbishment a tree, known as the Keurboom Tree, was planted.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Stephen: “I just want to say a huge thank you for looking after Sarah in your lovely neat CANSA Care Home. The caring was great!”
The CANSA Keurboom Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Keurboom Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account name: Cancer Association of South Africa – Keurboom
Branch code: 632005
Account number: 405 864 3337
Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 130001397
Non Profit Organisation Registration number – Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA): 000-524 NPO
Support Resources for cancer Survivors & Loved Ones
CANSA Tele Counselling can be accessed via the CANSA Help Desk on 0800 22 66 22 toll free, to make an appointment with a CANSA counsellor. Or send an email to the Help Desk via email@example.com – this is a confidential, professional, cancer-related telephonic counselling service to cancer patients, caregivers and their families and parents or guardians of children living with cancer. Counselling is available in seven languages (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, siSwati, Sesotho and Setswana) and is free of charge.